Thursday, May 10, 2012

Hello 80s! LOL

A few weeks ago I got out the old VHS tape of "my" dance festival to show my children as we were talking about the upcoming Cultural Celebration in our area.  The tape was so old and fragile I was afraid it might just turn to dust in my hands.  We put it into the VCR and held our collective breath as we heard spinning and whirling noises.  Finally a picture came up on the TV screen.  Not really a very good picture.  Actually, a very bad picture with very bad audio to go with it.  The tape has very definitely broken down with time, but the kids were able to watch a little bit to get the idea of what a big dance festival is like.
Well, as I have looked at various things on the web over the past few days, working on my postings for the Cultural Celebration, I came across mention of dance festival videos on YouTube.  I went to the site and sure enough, someone has uploaded video of our old dance festival. I didn't even know the festival had been broadcast on TV!   The audio/video quality isn't great but what fun (and really, a bit mortifying) to watch footage from the old days.  Hello big hair! lol
But I well remember the great feeling we had, the wonderful day and the awesome spirit that was with us as we worked to make this performance happen.
I'm so thankful that my child was able to be a part of a similar experience and build memories that will last the rest of his life.

This is part 3 (of 3 parts) of the 44-minute TV program "Celebrate America" produced in 1985. It is a dance festival of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ("Mormons") featuring 13,000 young dancers from 88 stakes in the southern California area, Hosted by Steve Young and 1984 Miss Teenage America Laura Baxter, it was held in Pasadena's Rose Bowl. The video was produced by Robert Starling with the help of 55 LA-area media professionals who graciously volunteered their time for the project. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Jenny, what a tear jerker to remember sitting up in those high bleachers, straining to see YOU, and being overwhelmed at the tremendous talent, exuberance and sound of so many great kids! What a spirit was there and how marvelous you all were. I was/am one proud mom.

    ReplyDelete